Seal Failure Analysis
A Systematic Approach
- Do not throw away any evidence.
- All damage will be due to possibly three factors:
- Carefully and completely examine the characteristics and evidence available to you.
- Seal Faces:
- Overall corrosion - chemical attack
- Abnormal grooving
- Erosion damage: Is the damage localized or does it have a pattern?
- Excessive pitting
- Sludging or bonding
- Thermal damage or other evidence of excessive heat
- Secondary Seals (gaskets)
- Chemical attack
- Excessive volume change
- Thermal attack
- Drive Mechanisms:
- Wear patterns normal or abnormal
- Uneven load distribution
- Excessive wear from vibration
- Carefully and completely explore all possible solutions to the problem. Select the best remedy, taking into account cost, availability, benefit and return on investment. Use your seal vendor as a resource.
- Implement the solution.
Copyright © 2017.